Thank you all for the advice. (Comments inline)

1. Are there any tools available that can convert archives
   (such as MS Outlook files) to an IMAP hierarchy?

The easiest way I found...
- Setup a new IMAP account on the client
- make all of the users folders on the IMAP account
- drag-n-drop the email messages in to the new IMAP account.

Well, not exactly automatic, but if that's what it takes...

Thanks for the tip!

3. Is there anything else "cool" that can be done with IMAP, other than web browsing?

> where did you get the idea that IMAP had any connection to web
> browsing?

You're right, my wording was not so good. I meant to say something like: as a consequence of the mail residing on the server, are there any other cool things that can be done (such as making web browsing possible/easier)?

Cheers,
Dave