Barry & Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick replies. your responses go along with my findings as well. I am trying to clean up some of our configs. The DDNS zones just didn't look right to me and I wanted to confirm what I was thinking.

Jonathan, I tested things on a test DC by pointing it at a DNS server here that wasn't athoritative for its zone. When I made a change the update happened almost immediately on the master server. This behavior follows the logic of updates following the SOA.

Barry, from what I can find I don't think the slave needs to be listed nor does the master in the allow-update directive. If I have time tomorrow I might test this out in our test AD.
Nicholas Miller, ITS, University of Colorado at Boulder