On Dec 29, 2008, at 11:35 PM, David Ford wrote:

I use DLZ w/ postgres. It's been working pretty good for me for a while
now.

Another "just out of curiosity" question. What sort of performance do you see with BIND/DLZ/Postgres?

The http://bind-dlz.sourceforge.net/ site has some BIND-DLZ performance test results listed. I don't know what version of BIND-9 they were using and I'm sure it is not current. With straight BIND-9 they were seeing 16,000 QPS, a reasonable number. With the Postgres DLZ they saw less than 600 QPS. I'm sure that this performance can be improved with fast hardware and (hopefully) a newer version of BIND.

With 50 million records, it would take about one day to perform a single query for each of these records with the server doing nothing else. It doesn't appear to me that you could serve this many records using BIND-DLZ with Postgres in any environment that actually uses all 50 million RRs. Then again, at 16000 QPS, it would still take about an hour to perform a single query for each of these 50 million records.

Granted, the startup/reload speed increase using DLZ will be impressive, what I am questioning is having 50 million DNS resource records on any DNS system. Is DNS an appropriate "database" for storing 50 million records?

Bill Larson

-david

Andrew Ferk wrote:
What are the backend database options available? Is bind-sdb active
developed and is it production ready?

You can use mysql with dlz.  I have yet to get it successfully
working, but that's another issue.

One of the reasons I wanted to use a database was for the speed
increase.  I would probably look into using dlz.