On 25-Jan-2009, at 23:06 , Barry Margolin wrote:

In article <gli8nu$ja...@sf1.isc.org>,
Matthew Pounsett <m...@conundrum.com> wrote:

In the example above, when I query for "IN A mx.xyz.com?" I do not get
an address record back (A, AAAA)..instead I get a CNAME record.
Requirements NOT met.

Then there's something wrong with your resolver, since they're supposed
to follow CNAME records automatically, and return the requested record
type from the canonical name.

You're right, of course. I was over simplifying my point, which was that the answer to the question asked is not an address record. I should probably know better than to do that. :)