In message <49af42f8.9070...@chrysler.com>, Kevin Darcy writes:
> Jeremy,
> I don't think the definitions of "rhs" and "lhs" are at issue. What
> apparently led the original poster to the wrong solution initially was
> the verbiage in the manual stating "Any single *$* symbols within the
> *lhs* side are replaced by the iterator value", which implies that "$"
> replacement _only_ occurs within the LHS. As Mark confirmed, "$" can
> also occur in the RHS, and in fact that's what was required for the
> correct solution.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't remove "within the LHS" from the verbiage
> completely, otherwise someone will undoubtedly complain about not being
> able to perform a "$" replacement in the class, type or TTL fields
> (users being users :-)
>
> But, maybe it could be amended to "within the LHS or RHS"...

        The quoted text was taken from a table describing all the
        elements of a $GENERATE.  I don't see how anyone reading
        the table could say that $ only is valid on the left hand
        side especially when there are examples above the table
        showing it on both sides.

        Mark

range
        This can be one of two forms: start-stop or start-stop/step.
        If the first form is used, then step is set to 1. All of
        start, stop and step must be positive.
lhs
        This describes the owner name of the resource records to be
        created.  Any single $ (dollar sign) symbols within the lhs
        side are replaced by the iterator value. To get a $ in the
        output, you need to escape the $ using a backslash \, e.g.
        \$. The $ may optionally be followed by modifiers which
        change the offset from the iterator, field width and base.
        Modifiers are introduced by a { (left brace) immediately
        following the $ as ${offset[,width[,base]]}. For example,
        ${-20,3,d} subtracts 20 from the current value, prints the
        result as a decimal in a zeropadded field of width 3.
        Available output forms are decimal (d), octal (o) and
        hexadecimal (x or X for uppercase). The default modifier
        is ${0,0,d}. If the lhs is not absolute, the current $ORIGIN
        is appended to the name.  For compatibility with earlier
        versions, $$ is still recognized as indicating a literal $
        in the output.
ttl
        Specifies the time-to-live of the generated records. If not
        specified this will be inherited using the normal ttl
        inheritance rules.  class and ttl can be entered in either
        order.
class
        Specifies the class of the generated records. This must
        match the zone class if it is specified.  class and ttl can
        be entered in either order.
type
        At present the only supported types are PTR, CNAME, DNAME,
        A, AAAA and NS.
rhs
        rhs is a domain name. It is processed similarly to lhs.

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Takahiro Masuda wrote:
> >

> >> The tricky part is ${3,0,d} waas not working. I bumped into a site
> >> that stated $GENERATE range rhs type lhs
> >>

> > That is wrong.
> >

> >> I then tried $GENERATE 11-30  $ PTR ${3,0,d}.COOL.COM. and this
> >> worked.
> >>

> >> Anybody here have the ability to update the manual?
> >>

> > Yes.
> >
> > But it appears your second try is correct.
> >
> > I can improve the documentation to make sure that it explains the two
> > abbreviations:
> >
> > lhs is left hand side (the label).
> >
> > rhs is the right hand side (the RDATA).
> >
> > Will that work for you?