  From: Revital Gorsht
  To: bind-users@lists.isc.org
  Sent: Tuesday, April 07, 2009 4:53 PM
  Subject: Strange DNS Resolution Issues

  Hi all,

  A few weeks ago, two of several internal DNS servers were suddenly unable to
resolve some external sites (eg microsoft.com, yahoo.com), while all internal
and other external sites (eg google.com) were resolving fine.  Since we
couldn't pinpoint the cause, the problem went on for about 5 hours and then
magically fixed itself... we were all left scratching our heads.

  Yesterday, (two weeks after the initial problem and curiously at around the
same time) the problem reappeared for about 30 minutes.

  All of our servers (affected and non-affected) are running BIND 9.5.1-P1.
The failed queries return timeouts or SERVFAILs.  Restarting BIND did not fix
the problem.  Nothing suspicious in the logs.

  Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing recently? Can anyone point me
in the right direction?? Is this even a BIND issue???  I'll be more than happy
to provide any further details!

  R.