Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Mark Andrews<ma...@isc.org> wrote:
       RRsets are unordered.  Software and configurations should
       be prepared for this.  Where ordering is required it is
       built into the RR type.

       Mark

On 14.07.09 14:02, Bryan Irvine wrote:
I've think I've found the confirmation I was looking for in RFC 2181
section 10.2.

Does this seem to confirm that round-robin PTR's are perfectly legal?

yes, they are perfectly legal. However I don't know about any application
that would require nor benefit of them, and I don't recommend using them.
With most of applications doing reverse resolution and using its result
anyhow it's still better to have always the same name...
Since we're nitpicking standards here, let's be clear that there is a distinction between "multiple-record RRsets", which refers to the structure of the DNS database in a particular area, and "round-robin", which refers to how a multiple-record RRset is treated when being given in a response from a resolver.

It is perfectly legal to have multiple PTR records in a given RRset.

It is also perfectly legal for a resolver to "round robin" the records of a PTR RRset in its responses.

"Round robin" behavior is not, by standards, *required* of any resolver. As Mark put it "RRsets are unordered".

So, if the question is: "does a round-robin PTR conform to standards?", then the answer is "yes". Both elements of that -- the RRset having multiple records and the resolver performing 'round robin' sorting of those records -- are optional and legal.

But, if the question is: "given a PTR RRset with multiple records, *must* this result in a 'round robin'?" then the answer is "no". No resolver is *required* to "round robin" anything. If it gives the RRset always in a "fixed" order, or randomly, or using some other algorithm, e.g. optimizing the response to place addresses that are considered "closer" to the requesting client at the top of the list (BIND does this via its "sortlist" facility), then these are all legal.

Hopefully that clarifies things.

- Kevin