On 19 Dec 2009, at 16:11, Fr34k wrote:
Hello,

Chris, I believe you are correct. That is, "blackhole applies to the sending of queries in addition to the receiving of queries".

Let me explain.

I discovered this the hard way. I had a /24 in the blackhole because it contained abusive clients. Within this /24 sat two legitimate authoritative name servers (ANS). Our clients could not get responses from these ANS servers because they were within the /24 blackhole.

The solution was to make an exception for these two ANS servers. This is fine in that the blackhole function is doing its job well! However, we have a few /16s among our blackhole networks and to manage an exception list of legitimate ANS servers contained within will be unmanageable.

So, how to stop the abuse without impacting legitimate client queries?

I think the solution here would be to permit "allow-recursion ( mynets;)" clients to query and get responses from "blackhole ( badnets; }" networks in some way.
Does such a solution, or equivalent, exist? If so, can someone share?

I haven't tested this, but I think this might do what you ask for:
Remove the blackhole-statements from the config; instead add these rules to iptables, ipfw or equivalent:
* Allow "related or established" packets to the DNS port
* Drop incomming DNS-requests from the blackhole nets

This will basically allow replies, but drop requests.

Greets,
Niobos