On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

Hi,

I'm about to set up bind with GeoIP patches.

What I'm not sure, is how do you guys handle high availability?

Suppose I have zones for Americas and Europe,

Just to be clear, you're saying that you have 2 different zones, one with the European IP addresses for the content server, and one with American, and a resolver gets an answer from one zone or the other based on a decision from the GeoIP stuff, right?

and a destination server in Europe dies - how do you handle it so that new (i.e. web) requests hit American servers only?

Set TTL to low values (i.e. 10 minutes max) and reconfigure the zones if European servers are down?

Based on your parameters below, and what you said elsewhere in the thread; yes, that's your only option.

hth,

Doug

Something else?

I assume typical hosting, without access to sophisticated network settings, like BGP.

                        -- Pablo Picasso