On 23/07/10 13:23, Danny Mayer wrote:
On 7/22/2010 11:33 AM, Phil Mayers wrote:
On 22/07/10 12:19, Rock July wrote:
Windows Vista and 7 clients will query both type A and AAAA query even

The OS might make the query, but the application will (should) be using
getaddrinfo, and this will return the IPv4 addresses first, so it
doesn't matter.

This is untrue. IPv6 addresses are normally returned first though the
ordering depends on a) the order returned by the authorative nameserver
and b) by the resolving server and if it reorders the list returned.
There is no specific ordering of resource records specified in the
protocol and servers are free to order them in any way they want. It is
up to the application to specify what they need and to make decisions on
which ones they will use.

Perhaps we are talking about two different things here?

Certainly there is no defined ordering of A versus AAAA records in DNS replies.

However, on Linux and Windows at least, the getaddrinfo C library call defaults to AI_ADDRCONFIG and RFC3484 address ordering rules; it does sort the results, and will present IPv4 results first if there is no local IPv6 global address present.

For example, in a Python interpreter session on a Windows XP machine:

>>> socket.getaddrinfo('wildfire.net.ic.ac.uk', 22)
[(23, 0, 0, '', ('2001:630:12:1c2f:203:47ff:fee7:ddac', 22, 0, 0)), (2, 0, 0, '', ('155.198.51.19', 22))]

>>> p = subprocess.call(['ipv6', 'uninstall'])

>>> socket.getaddrinfo('wildfire.net.ic.ac.uk', 22)
[(2, 0, 0, '', ('155.198.51.19', 22))]