On 12/08/10 16:34, Yohann Lepage wrote:
2010/8/12 Phil Mayers<p.may...@imperial.ac.uk>:
Is this still the case (that NS->CNAME is invalid)?

http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2181.txt

10.3. MX and NS records

    The domain name used as the value of a NS resource record, or part of
    the value of a MX resource record must not be an alias.  Not only is
    the specification clear on this point, but using an alias in either
    of these positions neither works as well as might be hoped, nor well
    fulfills the ambition that may have led to this approach.  This
    domain name must have as its value one or more address records.
    Currently those will be A records, however in the future other record
    types giving addressing information may be acceptable.  It can also
    have other RRs, *but never a CNAME RR*.

--
Yohann
www.2xyo.info

Thanks, but perhaps I should be more specific about what I'm asking:

Is it still the case that *Bind* will not follow a delegation where an NS record points at a CNAME?

In any event, as has been pointed out to me, the zone is broken - I have contacted the hostmaster - but I was curious that Bind did not appear to be following the delegation *and* did not appear to be logging an error (which may be my logging configuration).