On Wed, 6 Oct 2010, Alex McKenzie wrote:
Unfortunately, we do have need -- or at least a use -- to have smaller
subnets in multiple files, but without delegating authority.  The
problem is that some of those small subnets should have a shorter TTL,
or other settings changed.  If there's a way to change all the settings
by host in a single file, that would at least make that easier.

You could use one real zone file which is referenced by named.conf, with $INCLUDE directives in that zone file to pull in the parts of the zone from files containing the subsets you want. A $TTL directive at the top of each small file should give you the variable TTL defaulting you want.

For larger subnets we can use multiple zones, but I'd hoped to avoid it
if possible.  It sounds from this like there isn't a way, though.

Right.