Chris Thompson writes:

The relevant CHANGES file entry for BIND 9 would seem to be
701. [func]   Root hints are now fully optional.  Class IN
              views use compiled-in hints by default, as
              before.  Non-IN views with no root hints now
              provide authoritative service but not recursion.
              A warning is logged if a view has neither root
hints nor authoritative data for the root. [RT #696]
which puts it in BIND 9.2 but not in 9.1. I can't find any indication
in the CHANGES files or in my memory that BIND 8 ever had compiled-in
hints.

Thanks Chris.
That means since BIND 9.2 we don't have the need to make a hints file for named. Yep in current days who are running the named version below 9.2?