On 5/2/2011 9:50 PM, Jeff Pang wrote:
2011/5/3 Jeff Pang<jeffrp...@gmail.com>:
2011/5/3 Chris Thompson<c...@cam.ac.uk>:

It will need to know the addresses of ns1.def.com&  ns2.def.com to
send them NOTIFY packets when the zone is updated (unless that has
been suppressed). But it gets those by (if necessary) recursive
lookups based on its root hints (compiled in or otherwise), not
by using the OS resolver.

Hi Chris,

That's what the real question I want to know.
For example, my DNS Servers have lots of domains hosting, all the
zones have the same NS RRs:
ns1.dnsbed.com
ns2.dnsbed.com

But dnsbed.com is not authority resolved by my own nameservers.
So, I was asking when there is not correct entries in /etc/resolv.conf
if named will find the ns1 and ns2.dnsbed.com correctly from the root
hint.

And why I want to make sure it get the results from root hint, because
when I update my NS record's values, I want to let BIND know it
quickly, not effected by the old TTL.
If you want *everyone* to switch over to the new NS records quickly, at the expense of some query "churn", you need to lower the TTLs on the NS records prior to the change.

If you want just *your* BIND-based resolver(s) to switch over to the new NS records quickly, without all of the "churn" that's caused by lowering TTLs on NS records, then use "rndc flushname" right after the NS records have been updated on the authoritative nameservers.

Neither of these options have anything whatsoever to do with /etc/resolv.conf or hints files.

- Kevin