On 06/24/2011 06:39 PM, David Coulthart wrote:

configure the zone as forward first, the recursive nameserver gets
back the NS delegation&  then uses that to perform an iterative query
against the authoritative nameserver for the subdomain.  This
actually seems like it might solve my issues.  Are there any problems
with this setup I'm not seeing (other than the quirk of sending a
recursive query to the forwarder when it is authoritative only)?

forward first is the wrong tool; if the upstream nameservers are down (or fail to answer) it'll go to the internet, which you don't want.

static-stub, introduced in bind 9.8 are what you want (see below)

There have been a few other, slightly crazier, ideas I've thought of
or have been suggested to me.  But I figured I would start with these
as they are likely the simplest.  However, other recommended
solutions are always appreciated.

"type static-stub". These are designed for this purpose - they send non-recursive queries to the server-{addresses,names} you define, and will honour delegations, as opposed to forward zones that send recursive queries and expect a full reply.

I didn't really understand why you needed or thought you needed views, so if you can expand, possibly people can give you a fuller answer.

Cheers,
Phil