On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:57:18AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 09:47:48AM +0100,
>  Magnus Schmidt <m...@bisping.de> wrote
>  a message of 49 lines which said:
>
> > Nov 16 05:30:41 xxx named[1326]: critical: query.c:1781: INSIST(!
> > dns_rdataset_isassociated(sigrdataset)) failed, back trace

This behavior makes me bet that the trigger is a name in an incoming email
message, being resolved by an anti-spam filter. That appeared to trigger a
site-wide resolver crash back in May, when the oversigned .gov zone was
mentioned on a list (this particular list, I think). That suggests looking in
the inbound mail spool to see what might have been received at the time of the
crash might be productive.

Regardless of how the query was started, if this theory of propagation is
correct I'd suggest that posting the triggering name unobscured in an email
message would be A Bad Thing, even if one is emailing it to ISC as they've
suggested. Perhaps *especially* in that case, unless they've taken care to have
one production recursor running Unbound ;)

Bill (who is downloading Unbound right now)