On 7/10/2012 6:37 PM, Michael Hoskins (michoski) wrote:
-----Original Message-----

From: Ted Mittelstaedt <t...@ipinc.net>
Date: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:24 PM
To: "bind-users@lists.isc.org" <bind-users@lists.isc.org>
Subject: What is the deal on missing "Authority Section" and
"additional        section" from google's DNS servers?

   I can't seem to find an option to turn off additional data.  How
does Google and OpenDNS do it?  WHY do they do it?

have you tried "minimal-responses yes;"?

That did it, thanks!

it can increase name server performance, but can also increase client
workload (e.g. lead to additional queries).  some might also feel it's
best to be "conservative in what you send".

I would then have to assume that Google and OpenDNS are aware of
bugs in specific resolver implementations - very likely in certain
firmware versions of the small Dlink/Linksys/etc. routers - and
have turned off the additional data in order to make their stuff as
compatible as possible so that as few people as possible complain.

It would be nice if anyone could confirm this.

It would be nicer if Google or OpenDNS would confirm they are doing
it and why.

No doubt both regard it as some sort of trade secret.

Ted