On 13/02/13 15:34, Tony Finch wrote:
Nick Urbanik <nick.urba...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

I think that it is not necessarily always true that you should avoid a
load balancer.  Every day, our DNS caches are answering about 140,000
queries per second.  I think that it is rather hard to configure
resolvers to query only three machines yet still meet the demand
unless you either use very massive, expensive machines, or use load
balancers.

Another option is to use anycast.
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog29/abstracts.php?pt=NjcxJm5hbm9nMjk=

In fact, you can do both. Our recursive DNS server is accessible via two IPs - one virtual IP, hosted on a load-balancer, and one anycast IP advertised conditionally (on port 53 being open locally) using BGP from each DNS server. This means you've got some diversity.