On Jun 17, 2013, at 3:00 PM, Norman Fournier <nor...@normanfournier.com> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> (...Members of the httpd-users list says the same thing - its not an httpd
> problem.

>From what you've said below, they're quite right.

> I am just trying to take possibilities off my list of potential errors, sorry
> if I am annoying you, it's unintentional and symptomatic of my ignorance, so
> I'm asking questions. I think that is a legitimate use of my subscription to
> this list, and the list's raison d'ĂȘtre. Surely the list is not exclusively
> for individuals who know what they're talking about?..)

This list is for discussion of ISC's BIND.

> This is the error message my browser returns:
>
>> The server at dlinkrouter can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS
>> is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet
>> address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the
>> Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an
>> unresponsive DNS server or a firewall...
>
> Instead of "The server at mydomain.com can't be found", etc., - the error
> message states my router brand name. My router config seems fine. How would
> my router name get swapped for my domain name? And where might that error be
> located? In my httpd.conf? named.conf seemed a more likely place, although it
> looks okay to me.
>
> What question might I ask the httpd list that might be enlightening?

Let's assume that you've got a D-Link router which has a single public IP from
your provider, and provides NAT translation for a private RFC-1918 subnet, and
you've placed your webserver on a VM which lives behind that D-Link router.  If
so, you will need to enable static port forwarding for 80/tcp to the VM running
the webserver, or perhaps place that IP in the router's "Enable DMZ Host"
section of the firewall config.

This is basic networking; it doesn't have any close relationship to either DNS
or webservers.

Regards,
--
-Chuck