On 6 Nov 2013, at 14:08, Steven Carr <sjc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 November 2013 11:19, Dave Warren <da...@hireahit.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps you can point out where on that page RPZ is mentioned?
>
> The Spamhaus news article announcing the "beta" RPZ service
> (http://www.spamhaus.org/news/article/669/) indicates that the
> Spamhaus DBL is being repurposed as an RPZ data feed. There is nothing
> else on the Spamhaus website regarding RPZ, and since it's using the
> DBL as it's basis the logical assumption is the same "licensing"
> applies (unless anyone from Spamhaus wants to correct matters).

Thank you for the invite.

Broadly your summation is correct. Fleshing it out a little:

The Spamhaus DROP (Do not Route Or Peer) RPZ will have a maximum annual fee of
US$500. The DROP (and eDROP) products contain hijacked IPs and those under the
control of egregiously bad actors.

The $500 fee is to help cover the "repackaging" and delivery costs of the DROP
lists via RPZ (although make a reasonably cogent argument as to why you should
get the RPZ DROP without cost and we're likely to agree with you).

For those interested in rolling their own products, the DROP and eDROP lists
are available free of charge at <http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/drop.txt> and
<http://www.spamhaus.org/drop/edrop.txt>. We do not apply a licence to these
products and creating your own derivative products currently is OK.

The DBL based RPZ has been made available free of charge but is moving towards
a charged model. Fees will be as per the DBL blocklist product which is based
on a user volume model. If you're already a subscriber to the rsync service and
would like to use the Spamhaus RPZ product, there will be a small surcharge on
your current subscription fees.

At this point in time we're not taking a position with respect to rsync service
subscribers taking the data and repurposing it themselves for delivery as an
RPZ via IXFR to the same audience as that benefiting from the protection
offered by the rsync service. Put another way, if you subscribe to the rsync
service for 10,000 users and decide to repurpose the data to make it available
to the same audience via RPZ, your call.

For the record, I work for the commercial arm of Spamhaus[1].

All the best

Simon

[1] As this statement may get some people raising questions, The Spamhaus
Project Ltd is a non-profit. I work for a smaller Spamhaus company which does
aim to be profitable in order to cover the costs of the non-profit. Or as I
prefer to paraphrase it, non-profit does not mean for-massive-great-loss.