Hello,

First, you have to tell us if you wish to run and maintain an authoritative DNS server (meaning a server propagating authoritative information about your domain names), or a recursive caching nameserver (a DNS server performing recursive queries on behalf of other client devices [phones, laptops, web servers, mail servers, workstations]) that cannot or should not resolve these queries by themselves.

These two functions are radically different, have different requirements on hardware and bandwidth, and are really best kept separate because mixing them up causes all kinds of problems. If you want do do both, you should dedicate separate machines for the purpose.

Please also note that if you want to run authoritative DNS servers, you need at least two, preferably in geografically diverse locations and different ip ranges (so that one disaster does not wipe your domain names out of existence). Some ISPs or hosting companies provide a service called "slave DNS", though, allowing you to run a primary authoritative server (master), and use their server as a secondary authoritative server (slave).

--
S pozdravem,
Daniel Ryšlink

Dial Telecom a. s.