Am 25.08.2015 um 12:46 schrieb Harshith Mulky:
I have a confusion on how the clients respond to and cache when
particularly we receive negative replies from a DNS Server, particularly
NXDOMAIN or SERVFAIL responses

on the DNS Zone file we have these records
$ORIGIN e164.arpa.
@   IN     SOA  picardvm2.e164.arpa. e164-contacts.e164.arpa.  (
                                 2002022404 ; serial
                                 3H ; refresh
                                 15 ; retry
                                 1w ; expire
*3h* ; minimum
                                )

so 3h is basically the amount of time clients are asked to cache
negative results.

Now on the client side at lwresd.conf, if I have

max-ncache-ttl 300

Will the client override the default 3h value sent as response from the
DNS Sever for the zone e164.arpa

yes, that's the purpose of this setting

How are Negative responses usually cached?

by TTL while in case of a SERVFAIL i am not sure if it get cached