On Oct 5, 2015, at 11:51 PM, Harshith Mulky <harshith.mu...@outlook.com> wrote:
> Let us say we are having a FQDN and we need to Resolve it. It goes through
> the procedure of determining the IP and Port using NAPTR/SRV/A query
> mechanisms
>
> The question I have is if I have a FQDN with a Port Number already
> determined, will it go through the Procedure of NAPTR/SRV/A query (or) simply
> do a A query (or) Is this left to the client to apply the Logic?

The client must supply the logic. DNS is conceptually a simple database service
— ask a question, get an answer. The logic of using NAPTR records, SRV records,
A records, AAAA records, and CNAME records is mostly handled by the client.
(CNAME and DNAME records are the primary exception, triggering extra processing
on the recursive name server.)

Chris