In light of the upcoming H-root server changing addresses I wanted to confirm how BIND uses root hints.

It's my understanding that BIND has a compiled in version of the root hints -and- a root hints file that can easily be updated. This information is used to prime named as it starts up in such as it takes an IP for one of the root servers and attempts a to query to update the root hint server name to IP mappings. I believe that named will cycle through all of the IPs in the root hints file until it finds a server that it can query and update all of the root server names / IPs in memory. From and then continues running with that updated information.

As such, I think BIND will continue operating with little, if any, ill effect if people don't update their root hints file immediately. (Though ideally people should update.)

Will someone take a moment and confirm, or correct, my understanding of how root hints work in BIND?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die