On 2016-07-08 18:34, Jun Xiang X Tee wrote:

Dear all,

I have a simple question here. Is it possible to have a TXT format tuple appearing at the additional section?

  For instance, the original dig query shows:

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:

    ns1.google.com.         271647  IN      A 216.239.32.10
    ns2.google.com.         259462  IN      A 216.239.34.10
    ns3.google.com.         295152  IN      A 216.239.36.10
    ns4.google.com.         254408  IN      A 216.239.38.10

  Is it possible to have something like this:

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.google.com. 271647 IN TXT "v=spf1 arbitrary info that I wish to add" ns2.google.com. 259462 IN TXT "v=spf1 arbitrary info that I wish to add" ns3.google.com. 295152 IN TXT "v=spf1 arbitrary info that I wish to add" ns4.google.com. 254408 IN TXT "v=spf1 arbitrary info that I wish to add"

Haven't you asked what is essentially the same question over and over before? At least, the answer is ultimately the same as you were given before:

That's not really consistent with the DNS standards, and will break if you have intermediate caching servers. Why? Because of this clause from RFC 2181:

Unauthenticated RRs received and cached from the least trustworthy of those groupings, that is data from the additional data section, and data from the authority section of a non-authoritative answer, should not be cached in such a way that they would ever be returned as answers to a received query.

It'll also, irrespective of caching, break DNSSEC.

Whatever you're trying to do, this is not the right way to do it; you cannot arbitrarily add data to zones that are not under your control.

What are you trying to do? And why?

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/