On 06/07/2017 02:18 PM, kevin martin wrote:
I have tried to setup a reverse zone as 10.10.in-addr.arpa and perform 'update add' commands sending addresses like 22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa and 2.5.10.10.in-addr.arpa and, in all cases, the update fails with NOTZONE. bind complains "update failed: update RR is outside zone (NOTZONE)". Just how "tight" does the arpa zone need to be? what would be IN zone in this case? When I'm NOT using dynamic dns I have a zone file that is ORIGIN in-addr.arpa and just post manual entries that look like "22.22.10.10.in-addr.arpa. PTR host.myhosts.com " and reverse resolution works fine.

Low hanging fruit. Make sure that you have the trailing dot on your qname so that it is fully qualified. That prevents search domains from mucking with things that it thinks are unqualified.

Been there, done that.  Learned my lesson.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die