On 12/25/2017 10:23 AM, MAYER Hans wrote:
Hi Grant,

Hi Hans,

Many thanks for the detailed information.

You're welcome.

"update-policy” is new for me and maybe the solution.
I have to dig deeper into the documentation.

It's relatively new for me too. I think I became aware of it through one of the people I follow on Twitter.

                update-policy { grant *.fx.movie.edu. self fx.movie.edu. A; };

What does it say ?

My understanding is that <something>.fx.movie.edu is given permission to update it's own A record.

I'd have to go back and re-read the documentation (Zytrax's page is good) to decode it further.

So far I have seen the client is only allowed to update his own record. That means if the client has a new IP it can update the IP address.

That's my understanding as well.

Does it mean the client is only allowed to update within the same network range
?

I don't think the update-policy statement above cares where the client is located. Remember that we're talking about the A record in the fx.movie.edu zone.

It seems I am missing some important information. Maybe I am blind, but how is the client name verified ?

The only times that I've used this was in combination with a TSIG key.

So that may be how the client is authenticating who it is to the DNS server.

What happens if a client has for example the name “www” ?

I can't recall at the moment what the identifying factor is. It may very well be embedded in the TSIG key.

( Assume we have already a record with name “www” and IP but in a different network than the client )

*nod*

Kind regards

Likewise.

--