> On Jan 18, 2019, at 9:18 AM, Ben Croswell <ben.crosw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I shouldn't have posted so closely to responding to the other user.

Oh, my mistake.  How is this for a definitve statement?

BIND 9 was designed to be EDNS compliant from very beginning. All
currently-supported branches of BIND 9 are EDNS-compliant. That includes 9.11,
9.12 and 9.13.  We strongly advise running a version supported by ISC or the
vendor as there could be bugs related to EDNS in earlier versions.

I realize a lot of ppl on bind-users are running eol versions anyway.
We did poke around a bit here, and found we fixed some minor EDNS issue with
change #3949 in 2014. That was also about the time we added dig +ednsopt. I
don’t know what the issue was or if it is significant, but I am sure that any
version issued since 2014 would be compliant vs the ednscomp tool.

> I am not running 9.8. I was replying to them about firewalls in regards to
> their 9.8 issues.
>
> Was just hoping for a statement of 9.x or greater supports the needed badvers
> signaling etc.
>
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019, 12:15 PM Victoria Risk <vi...@isc.org
> <mailto:vi...@isc.org> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 18, 2019, at 9:09 AM, Ben Croswell <ben.crosw...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:ben.crosw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Has ISC released minimum viable BIND version for flag day?
>
> Most versions of BIND authoritative servers, going back years, are EDNS
> compatible. Certainly ALL currently supported versions are compatible. I see
> you are running 9.8, which has been EOL since September, 2014.  I think that
> is probably fine, as far as EDNS, however.
>
> The change in BIND related to DNS Flag Day is removing workarounds from
> resolvers, that will retry without EDNS or otherwise try to proceed even when
> EDNS fails. This change came in the BIND 9.13 development version, and will
> be in BIND 9.14, which is not yet released.
>
> The problem you are seeing is most likely firewall-related.
>
> Vicky
>

>> I looked around and couldn't find anything.

Victoria Risk
Product Manager
Internet Systems Consortium
vi...@isc.org