This is the signature of a Juniper firewall which drops EDNS version != 0 and
packet with a NSID option present.  Dropping EDNS version != 0 just breaks
future interoperability and as already impacted of EDNS development as the
RFC 6891 would have included a EDNS version bump except for these stupid
firewalls dropping EDNS version != 0.  NSID is used to identify a server
in a anycast cluster and the information is not returned unless the operator
has configured the server to return it.  There is no need for a firewall to
drop queries with these properties.

Please file a bug report with Juniper.

Mark

> On 19 Jan 2019, at 4:02 am, N. Max Pierson <nmaxpier...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>
> I am trying to ensure our Bind servers comply with EDNS for the upcoming Flag
> Day (https://dnsflagday.net/). I am somewhat ignorant to EDNS but from what I
> have read, the information is somewhat conflicting as some documentation
> states EDNS is not a record that you configure in your zone file then other
> sites refer to some sort of OPT record you can configure. So my first
> question is which of the documentation is correct from what I have read? Is
> it DNS server functionality that supports EDNS or do you also have to
> configure something in the zone files?
>
> Also, I have 4 (well 5 counting the master that isn't queryable) nameservers
> with multiple domains served on them. When I run one of my primary domains
> through the ISC EDNS tool, it comes back as 2 out of the 4 are failing EDNS
> queries.They are all on the same version of Bind (9.8.2rc1) and they are all
> slaves of the master so they should all have the same records. Can anyone
> please explain what I need to do to resolve the timeouts listed on the ISC
> testing tool?
>
> Here is what the tool says ...
>

> venyu.com. @208.79.48.30 (ns4.venyu.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=timeout
> edns@512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=timeout do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok
> edns512tcp=ok optlist=timeout
>
> venyu.com. @69.2.33.250 (ns1.venyu.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok edns@512=ok
> ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok edns512tcp=ok
> optlist=ok
> venyu.com. @2604:d800:12::250 (ns1.venyu.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok
> edns@512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok
> edns512tcp=ok optlist=ok
>
> venyu.com. @69.2.63.250 (ns3.venyu.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok edns@512=ok
> ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok edns512tcp=ok
> optlist=ok
> venyu.com. @2604:d800:13::250 (ns3.venyu.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=ok
> edns@512=ok ednsopt=ok edns1opt=ok do=ok ednsflags=ok docookie=ok
> edns512tcp=ok optlist=ok