Named drops those ports as they can be used in reflection attacks.
Sane NAT developers avoid those ports for just that reason.  The
full list is below.

static int
ns_client_dropport(in_port_t port) {
        switch (port) {
        case 7: /* echo */
        case 13: /* daytime */
        case 19: /* chargen */
        case 37: /* time */
                return (DROPPORT_REQUEST);
        case 464: /* kpasswd */
                return (DROPPORT_RESPONSE);
        }
        return (DROPPORT_NO);
}

> On 8 Jun 2019, at 7:56 am, Blake Hudson <bl...@ispn.net> wrote:
>
> Can someone explain why BIND (I'm using bind-9.9.4-73.el7_6.x86_64 but have
> also tried 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu) seems to ignore DNS queries initiated from
> specific privileged source ports but not others?
>
> Example:
>
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1 @localhost google.com
> 172.217.6.110
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1#10000 @localhost google.com
> 172.217.6.110
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1#50 @localhost google.com
> 172.217.6.110
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1#19 @localhost google.com
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1#14 @localhost google.com
> 172.217.6.110
> [root@ns ~]# dig +short -b 127.0.0.1#13 @localhost google.com
>

> While it would be ideal for clients to use source port randomization and
> initiate queries from random ephemeral ports, I don't control all the clients
> or the NAT routers in between the client and the server. Queries using a
> source port of 13 and 19 are dropped while queries from port 10000, 50, and
> 14 are answered. This has been confirmed via a network capture as well. I
> checked the ARM, but didn't see what knob(s) I could tweak to control this
> behavior. Anyone know?
>
> Thanks,
> --Blake

Mark Andrews, ISC