From: bind-users <bind-users-boun...@lists.isc.org> on behalf of Victoria Risk
<vi...@isc.org>
Sent: February 23, 2020 2:35 PM
To: @lbutlr <krem...@kreme.com>
Cc: bind-users <bind-users@lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: Advice on balancing web traffic using geoip ACls

On Feb 23, 2020, at 6:57 AM, @lbutlr
<krem...@kreme.com<mailto:krem...@kreme.com>> wrote:

On 22 Feb 2020, at 18:25, Scott A. Wozny
<sawo...@hotmail.com<mailto:sawo...@hotmail.com>> wrote:
I’m setting up hot-hot webserver clusters hosted on the west and east coasts of
the US and would like to use Bind 9.11.4

I’d consider changing that version. While Bind 9.11 *is* still supported, it is
EOL at the end of this year. If you really really want to run 9.11, at least
run the latest patch level (9.11.6 should be coming really soon).

We will continue with security patches for 9.11 through the end of 2021, so
9.11 is not a bad choice for someone who doesn’t want to migrate for a long
time.

9.14.10 is the current stable release and 9.11.15 is the current extended
support release. Unless you know something is broken in 9.14.10 (unlikely) that
would be the version to look at.

9.14 has just been replaced by 9.16, released just this past week. We will
continue offering security releases for 9.14 for a 3-month period to support
migration to 9.16. Someone doing a migration today should look at 9.16 rather
than 9.14.

You absolutely should not be running a bind version several years old, as
9.11.4 is.

agreed

Victoria Risk
Product Manager