On 2021-04-07 03:59, Marki wrote:
To elaborate a little bit on that... Indeed that is how it works,
unfortunately. When you start using forwarders or stubs, recursion
needs to be enabled because you're no longer looking for your own
authoritative data only.

A stub or static-stub zone would not require recursion.  In that case
named is asking for authoritative data from upstream.  But type
forward zones indeed cannot work if recursion is disabled.

What I've learned from this list is that you should split
authoritative and recursive service.

I would suggest that as a general best practice, but not an absolute
one.  There's nothing wrong with having internal-only authoritative
zones on your recursive resolver.  The potential problem comes when
you're a globally-published NS for your zones; having recursion
enabled can make you vulnerable to more possible attacks.

I'd say it depends more who/what you are.  Small-timers are not at so
much risk for this than large sites and ISPs.  But there too, the
paranoid would go for two instances of named, authoritative and
recursive, on a small hosted server even where it's only offering
recursion to itself.

May I ask what is the reasoning behind your current setup (pointing
your users to the non-recursive service)? What would you like to
achieve? What would you like to prevent?

Agreed, that is strange.  It does not seem that an authoritative-only
named can be very useful for end users.