On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 15:10:39 -0400
Timothe Litt <l...@acm.org> wrote:

> Hmm.  Your resolv.conf says that it's written by NetworkManager.
>
> What I suggested should have stopped it from updating resolv.conf.
>
> See
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/configuring_and_managing_networking/manually-configuring-the-etc-resolv-conf-file_configuring-and-managing-networking
>
> After restarting the service, did you edit (or replace) resolv.conf to
> remove the AT&T address?
>
> If not, stop here & edit the file.
>
> If so, perhaps some other manager is editing the file without replacing
> the comment.
>
> Check to see if resolv.conf is a symlink - some managers (e.g.
> systemd-resolved) will do that.  Not sure when/if it found its way to
> centos (I don't run it), but if it's there, systemctl stop & disable
> it.  It would be running on 127.0.0.53:53, but it usually points
> resolv.conf to itself.
>
> The other managers that I know of aren't in redhat distributions.
>
> You may need to use auditing to identify what is writing the file.
>
> Timothe Litt
> ACM Distinguished Engineer

"Helpful" software such as NetworkManager has a habit of getting in the way of
figuring out what is wrong with systems, especially networked ones. Since none
of the 8 computers on my home LAN are ever used in different locations, I don't
use NetworkManager (etc.): I don't see why such add-ons are useful unless the
computer is used on multiple networks. But distros install a lot of stuff in an
attempt to "simplify" Linux for newbies. (Even Windows, which now may have more
millions of experienced users than brand new users, acts as if no one has ever
used a computer before.)