On 20. 09. 22 20:32, frank picabia wrote:

The algorithm migration I made to 8 has worked well.
Getting green lights on DNSSEC checkers, etc.

The only odd bit is some warnings at DNSVIS.NET <http://DNSVIS.NET>
about DS records using digest algorithm 1.

DNSSEC specification prohibits signing with DS records that use digest algorithm 1 (SHA-1).

Somehow the way I do the zone signing results in 2 pairs of DS
records - one with digest algorithm 2 and one with algorithm 1.

This is the command I've been running lately:

/sbin/dnssec-signzone -A -3 - -N keep -o mydomain.ca <http://mydomain.ca> -t -f forward/mydomain.ca.signed forward/mydomain.ca <http://mydomain.ca>

As per the howtos I followed years ago, I've provided the domain registrar
with both DS key records (one key number, two digest algorithms).

mydomain.ca <http://mydomain.ca>. IN DS 20084 8 1 42419294EC592BFE044D256126F0420212E4E619 mydomain.ca <http://mydomain.ca>. IN DS 20084 8 2 827039A146CD8CD4528627BCB1351219FA7C36CFA54F702F2592047DEFE9C416

mydomain.ca does exist but does not show the warning you describe, so I suppose you are not telling us the real domain name.

If you want help for your specific domain please follow advice given here:

https://blog.powerdns.com/2016/01/18/open-source-support-out-in-the-open/

TL;DR post the real domain name.

In the diagram at DNSVIS.NET <http://DNSVIS.NET>, it looks like the DS with alg 1 is dangling at the top level domain (.ca) with the yellow warning as per above,
while the alg 2 links to my domain's DNSKEY properly.

How should I tidy up this digest algo 1?  Do I simply remove it at the domain registrar,
or is there a better way to run dnssec-signzone?

Well _maybe_ you can simply drop the DS algo 1, but we cannot be sure without checking on the real domain name.

--
Petr Špaček