On 22/12/2022 13:30, Jesus Cea wrote:
I have a validating DNSSEC bind server. I get AD (Authenticated Data) flag when requesting details from a DNSSEC protected domain. Good.

The point is that when the requested DNS name belongs to a domain with this server is authoritative and that domain is DNSSEC enabled, no AD flag is provided in the answer. I guess this is because bind is replying with DNSSEC data but it doesn't follow that DNSSEC delegation tree in order to verify that everything is OK and so it doesn't signal safety with the AD flag.

Is there any way to configure bind to verify DNSSEC integrity and signal the AD flag for authoritative domains?. Views (it would lose the AA flag, then)?

What would be the best practice for dnssec verification? To use a fully validating local resolver? Any other choice? I am currently using a local "bind" as a resolver and it works fine for DNSSEC verification, except for my authoritative domains.

You can achieve this by using a hidden-primary and then using "mirror zones" on the secondaries. They will return +AD, but not AA.

FWIW, adding your own auth data to a recursive server is this manner is IMHO completely fine - it's what we do at ISC for our own internal recursors.

On the other hand, having recursive lookups happen on a server that is a designated authoritative server (in the NS set) is regarded as bad practise.

cheers,

Ray