I'm in the process of migrating a modest number of zones from one signer
(OpenDNSSEC) to another (Knot-DNS). (The KSKs are identical so that should not
be an issue for this question.)

Each of the signers have a catalog (manually maintained for ODS, automatically
for Knot) which is transferred and consumed by BIND 9.18 secondaries; each of
these have two catalog{} stanzas on each server.

The trouble I'm going to be running into is when a zone should move from catz-A
to catz-B: in this case the zone must be removed from catz-A (whereupon it'll
be deleted when the catalog is notified/transferred) and added to catz-B
(whereupon it will be populated when the catalog is notified/transferred).
During this (possibly quite short) time, the zone will not be available on the
secondaries (REFUSED).

Is there a clever/elegant solution to this problem?

My first idea was to use the same zones-directory for each of the catalogs, but
a) I don't know whether that's actually a supported configuration and b) it
would likely not solve the issue because the catalog name is embedded in the
__catz__...*.db zone filename.

Adding the zone to both catalogs won't work either (obviously) because the zone would
"exist twice"; BIND catches that error and correctly logs it.

Any ideas? Bonus points if the solution can be automated. :)

Thank you,

        -JP