Clients need to send both cd=0 and cd=1 queries. The two types of queries
address different failure scenarios.

I tried hard to prevent the stupid just send cd=1 advice before it was
published.  Years before there was a wish to reduce the amount of work a
validating resolver does. There was bad advice from that and the WG chair
refused to reopen the issue.

CD=1 addresses bad clocks and trust anchors in resolvers. CD=0 addresses bad
authoritative servers and spoofed responses.  You can start with either and try
the other when validation fails.

--
Mark Andrews