On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 09:09:20PM +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
rinetd manages 2 separate connections and should work with PMTUD.

On 28.05.24 22:17, Peter wrote:
I'm wondering how it would. The connections are TCP, the PMTU works
via ICMP6.

No, Path MTU discovery works with TCPv4 using ICMPv4 as well.
(although it was/is quite common to block ICMP packets which can make it not work properly)

So I would assume, the ICMP "packet too big" message
reaches the host where rinetd runs, is swallowed by the kernel, and
the kernel sets the MTU in it's hostcache. Or something along that
line.

The TCP traffic however gets forwarded by rinetd to the internal
appserver(s) - which never get the message that they should reduce
their MTU.

The data from one TCP connection are sent through another TCP connection, where both connections are separate with separate MTU and PMTUD.

Windows 2000: 640 MB ought to be enough for anybody