Hi Brian.
Yes, you can define your own hint zone and tell BIND to use it. The
contents (I called the file "db.root" but the name is your choice) could be
as simple as:

@ 300 IN A 127.0.0.3
@ 300 IN NS @

which says for this zone (which will be called ".", coming next) the NS is
the same name and its IP is 127.0.0.3, which happens to be another instance
of BIND I have running. Your file would contain the names and IPs of your
internal roots.

In the config, define the hint zone like this:

zone "." {
type hint;
file "db.root";
};