> I have configured qname to disabled for now. Once the issue is resolved,
> I will set it to relaxed. I have provided a download link for the log
> files and a dig +trace test for more details on this issue, which I do
> not think is related to BIND or its configuration.

Sami,

Discussions of non-BIND issues are outside the scope of this list. If you
believe an issue is not related to BIND, you should look for a different forum
or resource (such as vendor technical support) whose purview is relevant to the
problem you have.

Regarding your example dig +trace for push-rtmp-l96.douyincdn.com, you stopped
at the point of tracing that produced this answer:

push-rtmp-l96.douyincdn.com. 600 IN     CNAME
push-rtmp-l96.douyincdn.com.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com.

You will need to do the next steps of troubleshooting to see how
push-rtmp-l96.douyincdn.com.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com is resolved. To do that,
I recommend using an excellent tool written by Shumon Huque: resolve.py
(https://github.com/shuque/resolve). In particular, this tool will help you to
see problems when QNAME minimization breaks due to bad zone configurations.
Running the tool with the appropriate command-line switches:

resolve.py -mv push-rtmp-l96.douyincdn.com.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com

will reveal multiple issues. One is:

# QUERY: com.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com. A IN at zone
d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com. address 139.159.208.46
#        [Got answer in 0.378 s]
ERROR: NXDOMAIN: com.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com. not found

NXDOMAIN is an incorrect response for this query; the correct response is
NODATA (i.e. RCODE = 0, ANSWER = 0). So China Mobile's CDN has broken DNS
configuration and this breaks QNAME minimization. And querying the domain of
the CNAME you would get if this failure wasn't present
(cmcczjcdnl.pushcmcc.rtmps.gslb.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com) also produces an
NXDOMAIN at gslb.d.live.cdn.chinamobile.com and the nodes below it. So same
problem.

> I suspected that a firewall was blocking the DNS traffic, so I bypassed
> the firewall, but the result is the same. How can we ensure that this is
> a network-level issue?

I looked at some of your logs. The resolver.log file is mostly errors of the
form:

resolver: notice: DNS format error from <IP address>#53 resolving
ns-open3.qq.com/AAAA for <unknown>: Name qq.com (SOA) not subdomain of zone
ns-open3.qq.com -- invalid response

If you look at the corresponding packets in your pcap, the responses are NODATA
with an SOA record for the qq.com zone indicating the authoritative zone. But
if you query for the NS records from the authoritative servers, you get a reply
that indicates the zone ns-open3.qq.com is authoritative for resolving
ns-open3.qq.com/all QTYPEs:

# dig @59.36.132.142 ns-open3.qq.com ns

; <<>> DiG 9.18.18-0ubuntu0.22.04.2-Ubuntu <<>> @59.36.132.142 ns-open3.qq.com
ns
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ad; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4304
; COOKIE: 4cd34d4c82645709 (echoed)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ns-open3.qq.com.               IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns-open3.qq.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns-tel1.qq.com.
ns-open3.qq.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns-cnc1.qq.com.
ns-open3.qq.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns-os1.qq.com.
ns-open3.qq.com.        86400   IN      NS      ns-cmn1.qq.com.

This mismatch between the authoritative zone name in the SOA record (qq.com)
and what the delegated nameservers claim is the authoritative zone
(ns-open3.qq.com) causes these messages.

If you use the search for this mailing list at
https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/ or just use any public search
engine you will see examples of people reporting this issue, and even citing
this particular domain. This is not a BIND problem, it's a misconfiguration of
records/zones. You can try contacting the administrator of the zone,
webmas...@qq.com (per the SOA record).

And before you ask for help from this list for future issues, I strongly
recommend you run any domain that is failing to resolve through dnsviz.net to
ensure that you're not asking about another zone misconfiguration, rather than
an actual BIND problem.

> download link:
>
> https://we.tl/t-M77os84duE

This link does not appear to be a "public" link. A login appears to be
required. In the future, please check that you are providing a public link
(i.e. no login required) by using "private" mode of your chosen browser to see
if a link can be accessed without prior login.

Beyond that... As I mentioned in my initial email, your version of BIND is old
and end-of-life. You should upgrade so that any issues can be discussed and
bugs filed if necessary. Problems found in EOL'd versions are less likely to be
addressed by listmembers (beyond indicating that you should upgrade).

> How can we ensure that this is a network-level issue?

Through standard network troubleshooting techniques, such as packet captures
and firewall log inspection. Beyond that, you'll need to inquire elsewhere, as
I indicated at the top of this message, as this is a list about BIND-related
issues.

Michael