Dear all,

We just published a paper on a cochlear amplifier like mechanism in the
tympanal auditory system of a cricket. The paper is open access. Apologies
for cross posting.

A Tympanal Insect Ear Exploits a Critical Oscillator for Active
Amplification and Tuning
Natasha Mhatre & Daniel Robert
http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(13)01034-8

*Highlights*

   - The tympanal ears of a tree cricket use active amplification
   - Active amplification and not passive resonance determines tuning to
   song frequency
   - Active amplification and tuning have an “on” and an “off” state
   - Crickets are the phylogenetically oldest insects with active auditory
   amplification

*Summary*

A dominant theme of acoustic communication is the partitioning of acoustic
space into exclusive, species-specific niches to enable efficient
information transfer. In insects, acoustic niche partitioning is achieved
through auditory frequency filtering, brought about by the mechanical
properties of their ears [1]. The tuning of the antennal ears of mosquitoes
[2] and flies [3], however, arises from active amplification, a process
similar to that at work in the mammalian cochlea [4]. Yet, the presence of
active amplification in the other type of insect ears—tympanal ears—has
remained uncertain [5]. Here we demonstrate the presence of active
amplification and adaptive tuning in the tympanal ear of a phylogenetically
basal insect, a tree cricket. We also show that the tree cricket exploits
critical oscillator-like mechanics, enabling high auditory sensitivity and
tuning to conspecific songs. These findings imply that sophisticated
auditory mechanisms may have appeared even earlier in the evolution of
hearing and acoustic communication than currently appreciated. Our findings
also raise the possibility that frequency discrimination and directional
hearing in tympanal systems may rely on physiological nonlinearities, in
addition to mechanical properties, effectively lifting some of the physical
constraints placed on insects by their small size [6] and prompting an
extensive reexamination of invertebrate audition

Best wishes,
Natasha