Hello all,

My name is Mitch Walters (mjw...@cornell.edu) and I am a first-year MS
student in Zoology at the University of Florida under the guidance of Dr.
Scott Robinson. I have joined this list serve, and am sending this email,
because in addition to wanting to be apart of this community and gain
knowledge on the subject of bioacoustics, I hope to get some expert
assistance/advice on my current MS project.

My project in a nutshell is looking at the effects of urban noise on the
acoustic signaling of the Northern Mockingbird (NOMO). My main hypothesis
centers around the acoustic adaptation hypothesis, with several predictions
on the NOMO's potential song adjustments. Given the NOMO's vast repertoire
and ability to alter song, I predict that NOMOs will adjust their
frequencies in areas with high urban noise (most likely increasing their
minimum frequency). I also predict that songs will be repeated more often
and an increase in night singing in areas of high anthropogenic noise.
Because the NOMO is a mimic, I also want to see which species NOMOs mimic
in urban areas. Can these species also adjust their frequencies to overcome
masking? If so, do NOMOs mimic other species songs at their normal
frequencies or do the mimic other species' adjusted song, given the
low-frequency background noise. I also may look at whether NOMOs perform
more "wing flashing" displays in areas of high urban noise (given this
acoustic obstruction, perhaps birds rely on more visual cues)

Given this information, I was hoping I could get some advice on which
equipment I should purchase to adequately collect my data. What devices
would work best for my project? What models do people recommend?

This is a new topic for me and my advisor, so I am looking for some outside
help in choosing equipment suitable for testing my hypotheses. I would very
much appreciate advice about particular models in the following categories:

- Digital recorder
- Shotgun microphone
- Digital sound/decibel meter (for recording background noise)
- Digital Light Meter (for measuring artificial lighting at night)

Also, is Raven Pro an adequate software program to use for this MS project?
Are there others that would be better for my purpose?

Thank you very much for your time

-- Mitch