Annual Cornell Lab of Ornithology Postdoctoral Competition

The Cornell Lab of Ornithology encourages applications to our competitive
postdoctoral program
(www.birds.cornell.edu/postdoc<http://www.birds.cornell.edu/postdoc>) that
supports innovative, independent research by early career scholars of
exceptional promise. Two or more named positions are available annually, with
applications due on September 8.

These postdoctoral opportunities support individuals pursuing cutting-edge
scholarship, while fostering intellectual interaction with two or more of the
Lab's programs. Any area of inquiry related to the Lab's mission "to interpret
and conserve the earth's biological diversity through research, education, and
citizen science focused on birds" may be appropriate. Potential applicants are
encouraged to learn more about our activities and opportunities, including our
formal programs in Bioacoustics, Bird Population Studies (avian ecology),
Citizen Science, Conservation Science, Communication, Education, Evolutionary
Biology, Information Science, Macaulay Library (animal behavior), Multimedia
Productions, and Public Engagement in Science. Research or activities involving
several of these areas are particularly appropriate, and therefore each
postdoctoral scholar may be co-mentored by two senior Cornell scholars.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact relevant faculty and staff at
the Lab to brainstorm about areas of mutual interest and synergistic projects.
We are especially interested in supporting the independent research of
individuals who can bring new ideas and approaches to the Lab, while
simultaneously leveraging our existing tools, data, and expertise in science,
education, and communication.

Each Postdoctoral Scholar will be a one year, renewable appointment for up to
two years at the Lab. Located at the Imogene Powers Johnson Center for Birds
and Biodiversity in the 220-acre Sapsucker Woods sanctuary, the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology is a vibrant unit within Cornell's University's College of
Agriculture & Life Sciences. More than 200 faculty and staff work at the Lab
within our 10 mission-driven programs. Our management and staff are committed
to the highest standards of ethics and excellence in all areas of our work, and
our Board leadership includes faculty from Cornell and other universities,
successful entrepreneurs and managers from the business and non-profit sectors,
and conservation-minded citizens from the United States and beyond.

These appointments provide a competitive salary, standard Cornell health and
other benefits, and funds to help support the Scholar's research and
professional travel needs. Start dates are flexible between February and
September of the year following the application.

The application package consists of a cover letter, CV, two-page research
proposal, pdfs of up to three representative publications, and names and
contact information for three references. Postdoctoral Scholars must have
received their PhD before beginning their postdoctoral appointment at Cornell.
Application materials should be sent as a single pdf file to the attention of
Sue Taggart (s...@cornell.edu<mailto:s...@cornell.edu>). Applications for the
two positions available in 2016 will be accepted until September 8, 2015. The
selection committee is chaired by Dr. Irby Lovette
(i...@cornell.edu<mailto:i...@cornell.edu>), Fuller Professor of Ornithology
and Associate Director for Academic Affairs at the Lab.

Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to
work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an
uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the
university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca,
NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses
on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and in Doha, Qatar, as well as the new
Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York
City.

Diversity and inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We're an
employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and
individuals with Disabilities.