Today, NOAA Fisheries releases our Technical Guidance for Assessing the
Effects of Anthropogenic Sound on Marine Mammal Hearing
<http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/guidelines.htm>.

You may recall that in June, NOAA released a draft Ocean Noise Strategy
Draft Roadmap <http://cetsound.noaa.gov/road-map>. The Technical Guidance
is an example of the sort of targeted action that the Roadmap recommends we
conduct.

The Technical Guidance will contribute to the protection of marine mammals
from underwater human-made sound through updated science. It provides
acoustic threshold levels for determining onset of auditory impacts to
marine mammals, which will improve our assessment of hearing impacts and
inform mitigation development. It is intended to be used by NOAA analysts
and managers, other federal agencies, and other relevant user groups and
stakeholders to better predict how a marine mammal’s hearing will respond
to sound exposure.

We have been working on this Technical Guidance for some time. It has
undergone three separate rounds of peer review and public comment. You can
view our responses to public comments in the Federal Register.

We understand there may be questions. So we also created informational
webinars and explain in the associated Federal Register Notice
<https://federalregister.gov/a/2016-18462> how NOAA and applicants should
transition to use of this Technical Guidance. All this information will be
available on our Office of Protected Resources website
<http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/acoustics/guidelines.htm>.

*Amy R. Scholik-Schlomer, Ph.D.*
Fishery Biologist (Protected Resources Acoustic Coordinator)
NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service
Office of Protected Resources, Marine Mammal and Sea Turtle Conservation
Division
1315 East-West Hwy.
SSMC3, Rm. 13605
Silver Spring, MD 20910