On behalf of my co-authors I am pleased to announce the early view version
of the online paper to be published in the next issue of Marine Mammal
Science:

Estimation of Minke Whale Abundance from an Acoustic Line-Transect Survey of
the Northern Mariana Islands

Authors: Thomas F. Norris, Kerry J. Dunleavy, Tina M. Yack & Elizabeth L.
Ferguson

Link to online article:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12397/abstract
<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12397/abstract>

DOI: 10.1111/mms.12397
Article ID: MMS12397

Abstract:

The minke whale is one of the most abundant species of baleen whales
worldwide, yet is rarely sighted in subtropical waters. In the North
Pacific, they produce a distinctive sound known as the ³boing,² which can be
used to acoustically localize individuals. A vessel-based survey using both
visual and passive acoustic monitoring was conducted during the spring of
2007 in a large (616,000 km2) study area encompassing the Mariana Islands.
We applied line transect methods to data collected from a towed hydrophone
array to estimate the abundance of calling minke whales in our study area.
No minke whales were sighted, but there were hundreds of acoustic detections
of boings. Computer algorithms were developed to localize calling minke
whales from acoustic recordings, resulting in over 30 independent
localizations, a six-fold increase over those estimated during the survey.
The two best estimates of abundance of calling minke whales were determined
to be 80 and 91 animals (0.13 and 0.15 animals per 1,000 km2, respectively;
CV = 34%). These are the first density and abundance estimates for calling
minke whales using towed hydrophone array surveys, and the first estimates
for this species in the Mariana Islands region. These are considered minimum
estimates of the true number of minke whales in the study area.

Sincerely,
-Tom Norris

Tom Norris

Bio€Waves Inc.