Dear all,
The deadline for abstract submission to Society for Tropical Ecology meeting
has been extended to January 12, 2018.
We received already a nice list of interesting papers so do not hesitate to
join!
Best regards,
Jerome

---

Dear bioacousticians,

The Society for Tropical Ecology organises its annual meeting in 2018 in Paris,
March 26-29:
[ http://www.soctropecol-conference.eu/ | http://www.soctropecol-conference.eu/
]

There will be a session dedicated to Audio and video monitoring you might find
interest in (see the Abstract pasted below) .

Please do not hesitate to forward the information or to join us in Paris next
spring!

Very best regards,

Jerome

Audio and video monitoring of tropical animal diversity: new insights and new
challenges

Jérôme Sueur, Alice C. Hughes, Patrick A. Jansen

Monitoring animal diversity is a key challenge of tropical ecology, as getting
reliable information on
species ecology in a standardised manner across space and time is challenging.
Furthermore the
rarity of some species and challenging landscapes and ecosystems can make
direct observations and
captures difficult. Yet understanding species distributions, their populations
and their movements and
the communities or landscape they belong to is essential information to not
only understand their
ecology bit also to ensure they are adequately protected into the future.
However, recent noninvasive techniques based on audio and video autonomous
sensors open the
possibility to sample tropical environments over large areas and long time
periods in a consistent and
reliable manner. Such digital data acquired remotely and automatically returns
valuable information on
animal behaviour, animal distribution, animal community composition, and even
landscape structure.
In this session, we will report the most recent finding in terms of audio and
video monitoring and
discuss about the possible challenges in terms of data collection, sampling
design, supervised and
unsupervised automatic identification of species, and ecological indices. We
will also show that these
data can be used as an attractive media to raise public awareness about
tropical diversity and
conservation. We will aim to conclude the session with a presentation of the
integration of these
different types of techniques to obtain a holistic understanding of the
potential of these technologies.