Dear Bioacoustics-L community,

On behalf of my co-authors, I'm pleased to share our publication, "Click
detection rate variability of central North Pacific sperm whales from
passive acoustic towed arrays." The article is available through the
Journal of the Acoustical Society of America at the link below, or you can
contact me for a PDF.

Barkley, Y. M., Merkens, K. P. B., Wood, M., Oleson, E. M., & Marques, T.
A. (2024). Click detection rate variability of central North Pacific sperm
whales from passive acoustic towed arrays. *The Journal of the Acoustical
Society of America*, *155*(4), 2627–2635. https://doi.org/10.1121/10.0025540

Abstract
Passive acoustic monitoring (PAM) is an optimal method for detecting and
monitoring cetaceans as they frequently produce sound while underwater. Cue
counting, counting acoustic cues of deep-diving cetaceans instead of
animals, is an alternative method for density estimation, but requires an
average cue production rate to convert cue density to animal density.
Limited information about click rates exists for sperm whales in the
central North Pacific Ocean. In the absence of acoustic tag data, we used
towed hydrophone array data to calculate the first sperm whale click rates
from this region and examined their variability based on click type,
location, distance of whales from the array, and group size estimated by
visual observers. Our findings show click type to be the most important
variable, with groups that include codas yielding the highest click rates.
We also found a positive relationship between group size and click
detection rates that may be useful for acoustic predictions of group size
in future studies. Echolocation clicks detected using PAM methods are often
the only indicator of deep-diving cetacean presence. Understanding the
factors affecting their click rates provides important information for
acoustic density estimation.

Best wishes,
Yvonne

-----
Yvonne Barkley, Ph.D
<https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/contact/yvonne-barkley-phd>. | she / her
Cetacean Acoustics Researcher
Cooperative Institute for Marine & Atmospheric Research
NOAA Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center
Protected Species Division | Cetacean Research Program
*Check out our field projects, SCOPE 2024
<https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/feature-story/scoping-it-out-first-its-kind-survey-false-killer-whales>
& HICEAS
2023 <https://arcg.is/0PSmvz>*