I just submitted a pull request. I'll add tests shortly if I can figure out how to write them.

On Wed 14 Nov 2012 03:50:36 PM PST, Martin Morgan wrote:
On 11/14/2012 03:43 PM, Ryan C. Thompson wrote:
Here are two alternative implementations of pvec. pvec2 is just a
simple rewrite
of pvec to use mclapply. pvec3 then extends pvec2 to accept a
specified chunk
size or a specified number of chunks. If the number of chunks exceeds
the number
of cores, then multiple chunks will get run sequentially on each
core. pvec3
also exposes the "mc.prescheule" argument of mclapply, since that is
relevant
when there are more chunks than cores. Lastly, I provide a
"pvectorize" function
which can be called on a regular vectorized function to make it into
a pvec'd
version of itself. Usage is like: sqrt.parallel <- pvectorize(sqrt);
sqrt.parallel(1:1000).

pvec2 <- function(v, FUN, ..., mc.set.seed = TRUE, mc.silent = FALSE,
                   mc.cores = getOption("mc.cores", 2L), mc.cleanup =
TRUE)
{
   env <- parent.frame()
   cores <- as.integer(mc.cores)
   if(cores < 1L) stop("'mc.cores' must be >= 1")
   if(cores == 1L) return(FUN(v, ...))

   if(mc.set.seed) mc.reset.stream()

   n <- length(v)
   si <- splitIndices(n, cores)
   res <- do.call(c,
                  mclapply(si, function(i) FUN(v[i], ...),
                           mc.set.seed=mc.set.seed,
                           mc.silent=mc.silent,
                           mc.cores=mc.cores,
                           mc.cleanup=mc.cleanup))
   if (length(res) != n)
     warning("some results may be missing, folded or caused an error")
   res
}
pvec3 <- function(v, FUN, ..., mc.set.seed = TRUE, mc.silent = FALSE,
                   mc.cores = getOption("mc.cores", 2L), mc.cleanup =
TRUE,
                   mc.preschedule=FALSE, num.chunks, chunk.size)
{
   env <- parent.frame()
   cores <- as.integer(mc.cores)
   if(cores < 1L) stop("'mc.cores' must be >= 1")
   if(cores == 1L) return(FUN(v, ...))

   if(mc.set.seed) mc.reset.stream()

   n <- length(v)
   if (missing(num.chunks)) {
     if (missing(chunk.size)) {
       num.chunks <- cores
     } else {
       num.chunks <- ceiling(n/chunk.size)
     }
   }
   si <- splitIndices(n, num.chunks)
   res <- do.call(c,
                  mclapply(si, function(i) FUN(v[i], ...),
                           mc.set.seed=mc.set.seed,
                           mc.silent=mc.silent,
                           mc.cores=mc.cores,
                           mc.cleanup=mc.cleanup,
                           mc.preschedule=mc.preschedule))
   if (length(res) != n)
     warning("some results may be missing, folded or caused an error")
   res
}

pvectorize <- function(FUN) {
   function(...) pvec3(FUN=FUN, ...)
}

would be great to have these as 'pull' requests in github; pvec3 as a
replacement for pvec, if it's implementing the same concept but better.

Unit tests would be good (yes being a little hypocritical).
inst/unitTests, using RUnit, examples in

https://hedgehog.fhcrc.org/bioconductor/trunk/madman/Rpacks/IRanges/inst/unitTests

with username / password readonly

Martin