This was a consideration. I guess I've never got much use out of them being
DNAStringSets, so I just went with the simple character vectors. It makes
sense to support DNAStringSet. I could imagine someone e.g. wanting to
represent mutations at the protein-level, and structural variants will
require more complexity, but DNA is by far the most common use case. Are
you willing to submit this as a patch?

Just out of curiosity, how are you using Biostrings in this case?