Hi,

On 02/23/2014 03:58 AM, Sean Davis wrote:
On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM, Henrik Bengtsson <h...@biostat.ucsf.edu>wrote:

Analogously to CRAN URL "shortcuts, e.g.

   http://cran.r-project.org/package=digest

expanding to

   http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/digest/index.html,

it would be neat if Bioconductor would support something similar, e.g.

   http://bioconductor.org/package=Biostring

expanding to

   http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/bioc/html/Biostrings.html

Should we also provide a short URL like this for annotation and
experiment packages? For these packages the current permanent URL
is even longer:

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/annotation/html/org.Hs.eg.db.html

http://bioconductor.org/packages/release/data/experiment/html/affydata.html

Here is a .htaccess RewriteRule (not tested):

   RewriteRule ^package=(.*)$ packages/release/bioc/html/$1.html [NC,L]

The main purpose is to be able to use shorter URLs in texts; the
current ones can sometimes occupy a complete line of text.

I kinda like this idea, also.  I would consider slightly breaking the
analogy with CRAN, though, and not use the "=" sign and just use another
slash.

http://bioconductor.org/package/Biostrings

Sounds good to me. I wonder if this shouldn't actually be made the
final URL instead of an URL that redirects to the final URL. People
often copy/paste the URL that shows up in the address bar of their
browser to share it with others. So if there is a redirect, the
long URLs are more likely to be used and shared. But if there is
not, the short URLs are more likely to be used and shared.

H.

Sean

Just a suggestion/wish

Henrik